Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas

Well, it's been another Christmas. My first white Christmas in 3 years. It's been a good one. I love low-key family events, the ability to just chillax, not go outside at all, and eat and play with family. In honor of this special time and what it represents, I thought to attach a letter that I prepared for some of the wonderful missionaries whom I know. I already sent it off to them, so they would get it before Christmas, but I think that my thoughts are applicable to anyone. So, without any edits, here it is, my missionary Christmas letter:
"At this time last year I was biking around the small town of Chascomús (pcia. de Bs. As.) in short sleeves, sweating profusely. On Christmas eve, after enjoying a barbecue at the mission president’s house and then an asado at a local member’s house, we returned to our apartment and delayed sleep until about midnight because 1) it was so hot anyways it was hard to get to sleep and 2) the fireworks started up at midnight. The next day, on Christmas, we celebrated by skyping with our families from the church computer, and then...just doing missionary work. Trying to visit people, clap houses the usual. And as was also usual in Chascomús, we did so without much success.

"This year I was worried I wasn’t going to be able to leave Utah because of the snow which on Thursday canceled flights and grounded planes (luckily my flight was on Saturday, so I missed that). Both in Utah and here at home, snow covers the ground. I retreat indoors to keep warm and drink eggnog. I enjoy various christmas programs from my student and home wards. My focus is much more personal, focused on my school work (or presently, resting from it) and trying to figure out my future. And yet, between the two experiences, there is something in common. That is Christmas. Stated with the greatest simplicity by President Monson in this past Christmas devotional, “To catch the real meaning of the spirit of Christmas, we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the Spirit of Christ.”
"There is something that ties every experience together, both mine and those of other people, from this year, years past, and years to come, be they seasonal or random, joyous or tragic.. That tie is the fact that each experience had on this earth are for our learning. They are an essential part of our eternal progression, as we exercise the great gift of our agency and search to return once more to our heavenly home. I know my place in that search, as do you. We know our roles. But something that this special season helps us remember is why that search has an end. why it is ultimately possible to arrive in our Father’s presence once more. That reason, very simply, is Jesus Christ.
"In this eternal plan of salvation exist the competing demands of mercy and justice. Without Christ’s sacrifice (a 1-time act) and mediation (a continuing act), we would all forever be subject to justice. And that’s not part of God’s plan (see Alma 42:13-14; heck, while you’re at it, go ahead and study the whole chapter!). I just heard a wonderful talk in my home ward’s sacrament meeting/christmas program where the speaker (the Boston, Massachusetts Mission president) commented on the humble circumstances into which Christ was born. He especially focused on the fact that Christ had complete control over where and how He was to be born, and that the fact that He was born into such humility should teach us something about how to act. I take that one step further, pointing out the ultimate sacrifice Christ made, which was to humble himself before His Father and take upon Him the bitter cup.
"We, too, need to act with such humility before God, and recognize that we are constantly tracing out our path in the plan He has set for us. Let us follow Christ’s example as we remember his birth this Christmas season, and not yearn for the glories of men or to be lauded on high. Instead, let us be content with the shepherds’ song, the manger for a bed, and be constantly grateful to our Father in Heaven for all He has given us. As a natural follower to the holiday of thanksgiving, let us not lose that spirit of thanksgiving in the festivities of Christmas. We depend on God. We are lost without Christ. We need the strength and continual guidance of the Spirit. This gospel is the anchor to our souls, the beacon which shines even into our hearts.
"As someone who has already completed my term of missionary service, I can testify to you that wherever you are is exactly where the Lord wants you. He is deeply interested by the things that happen to you and is lovingly aware of every moment. I hope that during this Christmas season you can gain a greater sense and appreciation of His love for you, especially since you are on His errand, and that through you, those whom you teach and contact can also feel that love.
"It is because of God’s love for us that He sent His Son to earth. So let us remember that love, that we may share it, as He would have us do, with the rest of His children.
"I know that what I have shared and written is true. I know that this church, the one on your name tag, is led today by Jesus Christ himself, through a living prophet. The Book of Mormon, more than any other book, testifies of Christ and His divine purpose among us and for us. Having this good news in my life brings me peace from doubt, joy in times of stress, and love in spite of contention.
Thank you for your service, and continuing example. Learn from this experience the most you can, be willing to change and learn from the past. Be open to the inspiration of the spirit and the counsel of your companion and leaders.
"Most of all, be happy :)
and have a Merry Christmas!

-Jansen H. McQuivey"


There it is. Enjoy your Christmas, or what little there may be left of them (on the east coast it's already 11:35), but remember to keep the spirit of Christmas, or of Christ, with you for the whole year.
And of course, enjoy this amazing video (#lovethepianoguys):


No comments:

Post a Comment