Thursday, September 24, 2015

Current Event 2

When I came across this article, I immediately reflected on the video we watched today. My mind was drawn to the idea of new technologies that could go viral, similar to the way the personal computer industry did. I don't know whether VR will be that next explosion of hardware and software. Certainly, more of the infrastructure is there, in the sense the the public is definitely used to this type of sensational device. Certainly VR has a chance to captivate the minds and hearts of consumers. But it also has a chance to fail dramatically. The reason for my uncertainty is due to the history of new super-devices that have come out in the time since the Apple II. Certainly, Apple has continued to be a leader, with the iPod and iPhone. These were both new leaps forward in the consumerist 'must have' mindset. However, other devices have seen almost no popularity despite their hype. I hold as examples the segway, and google glass. I give these examples because each of the items I have listed have represented not only a new device but a new field. Before the iPod there was no concept of the ".mp3 player." That has since become a staple of our culture and society. Before the segway there was no concept of effortless personal transportation. However, that never erupted as a common device. For this reason I cannot forecast the success of VR, but I eagerly await its release.

No comments:

Post a Comment