Tuesday, January 4, 2011

stuffstuffstuff


wow, a lot has happened in the past two days. I'm gonna start with Monday and see how far I get.
The special thing about Monday is that it was Winter NSO, or New Student Orientation for winter semester. Needless to say, there are far fewer people new to BYU come winter than there were in Fall. As a Y group leader, this made the experience quite a ways more enjoyable. Highlights of being a Y group leader: free breakfast, free lunch, free shirt, being able to help people new to campus around, being able to appear experienced and sage through being a Y group leader, etc. Because of the people constraints, the event took place over the course of a single day. We got campus tours in, education in Zion, and a library tour, as well as convocation and traditions of honor (which the Young Ambassadors performed for). My group consisted of about 8 kids, 4 of whom were returned missionaries, 2 of whom were girls that had graduated high school early, and 2 of whom were girls that had transferred. The transfer student population come winter was a lot higher than in fall.
The other interesting thing about NSO is that there seemed to be a lot more international students. One of the new move-ins in our ward is from Albania.
Another thing that I noticed is that most of the guys are RMs. Out of the guys that moved to my hall (that weren't here in the Fall), at least 3 of them are returned missionaries (including one of my new roommates).
*soapbox moment*: Notice how I wrote "RMs". There is no apostrophe within the word, because it is merely an acronym representing a singular noun, and then pluralized. No "RM's" or any such thing. Remember that.
So NSO was over at 5, which allowed me to go home and chill...by which I mean I kind of chilled at my apartment, then went to visit some friends in Bowen until 11:00. When I came back my roommates were watching Bourne Identity which was awesome.
OK. I'm falling asleep now. I have a big day ahead, so I'll try and post more. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment