Sunday, June 27, 2010

It's been a week!


So. Here I am. 7 days in and nothing much to show for it (except this wicked cool blog, and this video which one of my roommates just showed me). I just finished my first paper of college (...yay!). The prompt was on how biology applies to computer science. Fun Fact--writer's block does not go away when you go to college. Which is really annoying when it's 12:30 and I'm trying to make my posting deadline (which is essentially just to make sure I get it in before anyone wakes up to read it).
Soooo making up for yesterday--after hanging out with the Vaughns I came back and worked on the windows update yada yada... I ended up going to the creamery with a bunch of people (new people and some people I already knew) and just kind of chilling; we talked, got to know each other, etc. then came back and played egyptian rat screw (which is a really hard game to play with two decks). I didn't actually start, but slapped in with four other people left and ended up with the majority of the deck (never discount scout camp training--it has left me with reflexes like a cheetah). After that I came back and tried posting but then ran into all the problems listed from yesterday's post.
Today: it's Sunday today! And that means Church. I am in the BYU 186th ward, in the BYU 4th stake (gotta love Utah).

A shot of the program, as proof (the hymnbook had imprinted the name of the stake, but I didn't get a picture of it)
Sacrament meeting was essentially sustainings followed by two student speakers who gave 5 min. talks, and the first and second counselor of the bishopbric spoke. I got good notes, but don't feel like putting them on here. Then (and this threw a little) we split up into elder's quorum and relief society. Luckily, the record-changing got through so I was on the attendance list in elder's quorum. The bishop led a good discussion as we waited for the stake president to come and set apart the new EQ president (and presidency). Our president is named Ben something or other, which is unfortunate because I can't very well call him President Ben, but I can't remember his last name. Oh well. I am excited for home teaching assignments, though; it will give me a chance to meet even more people. Oh, and I guess I should reveal what my calling is: I am the ward choir pianist and I'm wicked pumped. I didn't really know what to expect from my calling, but this is pretty good: I don't have to be in charge of anything, or anybody. All I have to do is practice and play the music that the choir is working on, which I love to do. Also, it gives me the chance to play accompaniments, instead of just straight hymns. The only sad thing about it is that it means I can't sing in the choir. 'Tis a shame. On the upside, I met the choir director just prior to ward prayer this evening; her name is Autumn and she seems pretty cool. I can't wait to get the choir up and started. With the 8 weeks we have left, I think that should give us time for at least two or three musical numbers. Finally, I got this great picture of the sun on the mountains as I was leaving Bowen for my apartment. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment